DIY Powder Laundry Detergent

Monday, January 28, 2013


Some of you may remember when I shared that I  made my own liquid laundry detergent for the first time back in October. Well, I JUST ran out of the first batch that only cost me $.75 to make! It lasted over 3 months. Yes, I'm so serious! I really liked the liquid detergent, but I didn't enjoy having to shake / stir it every time I used it. I know... I'm lazy. So when I saw THIS recipe for powder detergent on my favorite "make your own" blog (One Good Thing by Jillee) I decided to give it a go. 

The results? It was just as easy to make as the liquid detergent only I could make more of it at a time, it took up less space, and I never have to stir it. I would estimate it only cost about $25.00 to make a huge bucket full of it. You only use 2 tablespoons per load so it's going to last a really long time (I am not going to attempt to do the math on that one). Just trust me... it's a huge money saver!

I've been using it for a couple of weeks now and so far I have nothing bad to say about this recipe! It's done just as good of a job as the liquid detergent did. At this point I think I have been officially converted for good. I don't ever want to buy a 64 load detergent for $12.00 again!

2 comments:

  1. So glad you've tried it for a couple of weeks. Do you clothes feel as clean? Just bought a 12lb bag of baking soda (to turn into washing soda since I can't find any) and am ready to make my first batch! I've never done any homemade laundry soap so this will be my first shot at it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Wendy : Yes, as far as I can tell my clothes are still getting just as clean. I don't have kids though so we don't have anything really messy to clean up. So far so good here! Good luck!

    -Hannah-

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs